Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Safety Check


Today's Thoughts. By Jeff Head 8/28/14 Safety Check

Eighty thousands pounds of rig and load, something interesting going on outside of your windshield and a hand held camera catching all the action as you roll down the highway all make for an awesome Face Book post later that evening.  I am sure many have seen my video in a parking lot where I have been caught videoing the action and then confronted by the driver.  The last one threatened to break my teeth if you might recall.  It seems that more and more drivers are getting involved in safety issues doing their part in cleaning up our industry, the trucking industry.   

A good thing I think but we must remain safe ourselves as we do this.  People for some odd reason beyond my comprehension just do not seem to like having their picture taken while they are doing bad things in public.  While many will just walk away, others will get up into your face and threaten you.  I can tell you many stories of getting caught and how dangerous the situation became.  You can also find many videos of attacks on reporters.  So be discrete as you go about your business especially while moving down the road.  Just a conversation on the CB radio can inflame another driver to the point that they will use their truck to run you off the road.  Trust me, I know.  That is why I never turn my CB radio on anymore unless a specific need arises.  There are safer ways to get the message across that will not jeopardize highway safety, your job, your life, or the life of those around you.  Make it your rule to never post anything that anyone could conceive as dangerous itself. by doing so you force yourself to find safe ways to get your message across.  

My rules for me, well, the rules I do my very best to follow go something like this.  I use two dash cams set up so that while one catches the action, the other catches the identity.  These cameras are never touched while the truck is in motion.  Pictures taken while I am out and walking around I try to do in a way that nobody else is around or from an angle such as I might not be seen.  If caught I always say I was going to ask a friend about something else and wanted to use this picture as a reference.  I never let them know what I am really doing.  Sometimes it is obvious though, and they end up in your face.  I do my best at this point and leave as fast as I can.  Even the best plans will find you in a bad place from time to time.  I never discuss company business out in the open.  Companies tend to get a little upset when their dirty skid marks are laid out for the world to see. 

Now to head off the usual argument, taking pictures or videos of people in public places is legal.  As long as they are out in public, they have no expectations of privacy.  Past that, you have a First Amendment right to offer your opinion as I do quite often.  I try never to outright accuse any one of doing anything or call them derogatory names but simply ask that they stop doing what the picture or video clearly shows them doing.  I do this once and then I leave them along so that I am in no way harassing them.  In short, I keep it simple, safe, respectable and within the law.   

Getting involved in cleaning up the trucking industry and making it safer out there on the highway in my opinion is always a good thing to do.  However, as advocates, we must do our best not to become the danger itself.  Sure, when I first started I was a mess, made plenty of mistakes.  As time passed though and I grew into what I am today, I learned many lessons along the way that I hope have made what I do a much safer thing.  Something that any company that I might work for will see as a positive thing for their image and not be wanting to fire me just to cover their butts. 

God Bless America

#rlbjeffhead

Be sure to add me as a friend if you like "Today's Thoughts"

Copy and share as much as you want (-:

Books By Jeff Head

Running Legal Blues

Drive Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment