Total Pageviews

Monday, August 25, 2014

Biscuits Of Shame



Today's Thoughts By Jeff Head 1/14/14 Biscuits Of Shame
"A couple of those sausage biscuits please" I say to the person behind the counter at the fuel island deli as I grab a drink from the refrigerated case nearby.  Then I step up to pay for my breakfast and the cashier mumbles something about the price of the biscuits.  I just assumed they were at a discount as they sometimes are at different places because they have gotten old.  I thought that was somewhat funny though because it is just after six in the morning.  The cashier goes on to tell me that I am only being charged for my drink and I need to pay for the biscuits at the other end of the counter.  I can hardly hear so I lean in so I can hear better, then step down to the other end and slide a couple of bucks discreetly over the counter between things so no one or the security cameras can see.

As I walk out of the door, I was asking myself what just happened.  Someone just swiped two sausage biscuits and sold them to me.  In short, I just committed a crime.  Certainly, I walked in intending to pay for breakfast; I did not intend to steal anything.  Some person behind the counter took one look at me and decided I was shifty enough to be included in their dirty deeds. Then, before I made it to my truck, I guess I had become very mad about the situation.  I am not a thief, why did I allow that to happen I was asking myself.  I try very hard to live an honest life and in the blink of an eye, I had fallen into the depths of shame.

I filled out my logbook and dialed the number on the fuel receipt.  It was not so much that I wanted to snitch on anyone as it was my need to pay for those biscuits.  I simply did not want that on my conscience.  I explained to the night manager and offered to go inside the main store and pay.  The offer was declined, so I left.  A few hours later the main manager called asking me to tell what happened.  Receipt numbers and times were given and again I offered to pay for the biscuits and again I was told not to worry about them. 

It seems that the problem had been known about but until I spoke up, they had no way of dealing with it.  Now I think they know what to look for on the security tapes and then comparing the receipts to what was put into the bag, they might be able to stop their problem.  When something is stolen from a store like that, honest people pay the price because prices are raised to cover the loss.  Today was just some food, but over the years I have heard stories about tires and other high priced items.  The market for these items will go away when we just refuse to buy things out of the view of the security cameras.

Still though for me, I still have two biscuits that are giving me heartburn.  There they sit heavy on my mind and will stay there until I finally pay for them.  My guess is the next time I do Sunday morning Church Service the price of two sausage biscuits will find its way into the offering plate.  At least this way from my evil deed some good will come.  Of course while I am there, I will ask for forgiveness.  I hope that I have done the right thing today in making that call.  I guess time will tell.
God Bless America
Be sure to add me as a friend if you like "Today's Thoughts"
Books by Jeff Head
Running Legal Blues
Drive Safe
Available at Amazon .com

No comments:

Post a Comment