Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Dirty Word


Today's Thoughts. By Jeff Head 8/31/14 Dirty Word
I set my camera up about a week ago, just for a trail run.  I stood in front of it and spoke from my heart the things I think about such things as tailgating and our number one jobs as truckers keeping the highway safe.  I spoke of the value of human life and I spoke of a family I watched die one day as a trucker tailgated them through a construction zone.  Just as I finished, the phone rang.  As I spoke with my wife, I watched the practice video I had just made and when done, I asked her what I should change to make it better.  "Nothing" was her answer, use it just as it is.  Being the smart man I am, I listened to her and with all the fuzziness and background noise, I posted it.  Much to my surprise, that YouTube video, "It Will Never Happen To Me"  has produced thousands of positive responses from truckers agreeing that truckers that tailgate, is a bad thing.  I feel very blessed that my message was so well received by so many in the trucking industry. 

I want to thank everyone for caring and sharing the video and I want to thank my friend Robin from the Face Book group "Give Truckers Room".  You see Robin asked a question to her group about what they could do as a group to help bring this tailgating issue in the trucking industry to the attention of drivers and companies and try to make a difference.  I thought about that as I was driving this morning and it came to me that Robin had already taken the first step to making a difference by simply raising the subject. 

It is like this, the video no matter how good it is will be like any other video as time goes on and will simply be replaced by the next greatest video and then the one after that.  However, by Robin keeping the conversation going, the tailgating issue continues.  So if I ask how can we as the trucking industry help bring this tailgating issue in the trucking industry to the attention of drivers and companies and try to make a difference, what would the answer be?  Simply to keep the conversation going.  If we as drivers bring this topic up as many times as we can in as many different places as we can, sooner or later someone might just get the idea that we mean business and this tailgating must stop. 

Personally, in these conversations I think we should let them know that "Tailgater" in the trucking industry is the dirtiest word you could ever call a trucker.  These drivers are destroying our image and endangering our families.  I think it is about time we stood up to these bullies not only in a safe and legal way so that we do not become the danger ourselves, but in a very public way so that the world can see that the majority of truckers are really just a group of hard working family minded folks just like they are.  

So be like Robin or even stop by on Face Book and join her in getting the conversation out there, who knows, the idea your group comes up with might just be the one that gets the job done.

God Bless America

#rlbjeffhead

Be sure to add me as a friend if you like "Today's Thoughts"

Copy and share as much as you want (-:

Books By Jeff Head

Running Legal Blues

Drive Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment