Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2011

I Win, I Win

Today's Thoughts 8/13/1 I Win, I Win
Wow, that’s great to be able to say. The thing is though, it should say "We Win, We Win", because even though I have been working toward drivers being able to run safe and legal with out reprisal for just about my whole trucking career, Plain fact is that as time went on, more and more got involved. Who was first, I have not a clue. But I can tell you that from the puny little guy like me to the greats with national audiences and everyone in between, we as an industry win or are at least very much on the way. We win.
A few years back, I can remember a driver walking up to me and shaking my hand because about a year earlier I spent some time with him and we talked about how to make a profit while running safe and legal and he was now able to understand the principles and was doing very well. That was a pretty cool thing to have happen. But still back then I was still staying low keyed when I preached about such stuff. The other day I was informed in a very public way that drivers were running safe and legal all over the place and that it could be done. Well that was just awesome I thought. Somehow I think a comment I had made was taking a little out of context and this person thought maybe I needed to be straightened out about this subject. That’s ok though, maybe I'm a little off as to why the comment was made, and the point being is that it was made. And it was made loud and clear right out in the open with no reservations what so ever. And that’s why I think we are winning this battle.
For years in this industry drivers were starves out, black listed with things like the DAK report, even run off the road and threatened because they chose to run safe and legal. Companies would starve drivers out and brokers and agents simply would not load them. Plain fact was that if you as a driver were not willing to play the game, you would not last long in this industry.
The other day when it was proclaimed that drivers were doing it, making a living in the trucking industry in a safe and legal fashion and were not being run out of the industry my heart just soared. Because that told me that every bit of what drivers like me went through years ago fighting to change this industry was worth it. Those that got involved on every level made a difference and now instead of drivers hiding the fact that they insist on doing it right, they tell me right out in the open we are doing it right and making a damn good living at too. AWESOME!
Everyone involved from years ago to the advocate of today have something to be proud of. And drivers that are able to run safe and legal in today's industry can look back into history and see what has been accomplished for them and then look ahead at what they themselves may be able to do for the next generation of drivers. We may have won a battle but the war goes on.
 I know there is still work to be done here with running safe and legal but there are also lots of other areas that need to be dealt with too. Each of us has to find where we fit best and work from there to better this industry. I've tried several different topics myself. I wanted to donate five acres of land once to a truckers memorial, that went nowhere and I've tried simple little things like just making a list that showed all the different people and the wonderful things they were doing for this industry. This last one made me realize that I could mix two glasses of water together and one of them would get steamed and walk off. Oh well. This won't stop me though; I'll find a direction soon to work towards.
Here's the thing  folks, safe and legal truck drivers are here to stay. We as an industry did that. I had a hand in it and I'm proud of that fact. Question is, What will you start today that after your twenty year career as a truck driver will you be able to look back and say " I had a hand in that"
Be safe peeps …
Jeff Head.
Be sure to add me as a friend if you like "Today's Thoughts"
http://runninglegalblues.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment