Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Arms And Legs

Today's Thoughts 8/11/11 Arms And Legs
I had a long conversation with a friend today. We talked about all kinds of things, both trucking related and just the world in general. We came to the part where we were trying to figure out where we should go from here with the rest of our lives. A quick look showed me where I had come from. It also showed me all the places I had been and the things I had achieved. It's sad to see the things that far too many have lost these last few years in America. Freedoms are at the top of the list but also and very important is the loss of the ability to support one's family in today's economy. Of course we as individuals have certain responsibilities we have to meet. Our religion and family are certainly at the top of that list. America is hurting right now and really needs our attention. And we should look out for our friends and their industries. We must stand together as a country and help each other if we are going to grow strong again.
What about us? Ourselves. What are we going to do to survive until common sense returns to not only our industry, but our country? Each and every driver that is still lucky enough to still be on the road has to be just a little bit concerned about what is going on with all the new rules and regulations that are coming down on us as a industry. Earlier tonight I even saw some new proposed rules starting to regulate shippers and receivers. A good thing you might ask. Depends on your view on things I guess. I'm never much on government getting in on things a person can make the choice themselves as to how to deal with it.
The conversation though made me think about my particular situation which in turn made me think about how others in the industry are going to deal with it. For me personally, I have for a long time demanded of myself that I run Safe and Legal. I've worked myself into a position that I was able to do that and for years I was very comfortable doing so. As time went by though and the economy went bad, I was able to hold on and the great work I had done carried me through until the present day. How much longer will that last though? The truck and my butt is getting older, both requiring more and more maintenance. The regulations are coming faster and faster and the cost to run safe and legal is rising as the Mexican truckers will soon be upon us knocking us out of decent paying freight and jobs. ect. ect.ect.
How are we ever going to cope with all that has happened and is scheduled to happen to us as an industry? It amazes me that our safety record improves each year but yet they still tighten the rope and now I'm afraid that drivers will no longer be able to run safe and legal and show a profit in doing so. As time goes by, I know that I personally have basically come to the point that there is no longer any profit keeping things as legal as I used to.  I know how to make this truck make the cash. I've been at it a long time and as time goes on, our ability to do so seems to be disappearing.
The thing is for me though, if I am going to stay in this trucking industry, I am going to run safe and legal. That's been a way of life for me way too long to back out of it now. I just seem to be having a big problem with figuring out how to continue on without any idea of what will be thrust at us as an industry next, or how fast it will come. Perhaps it is time to retire after a long career and look into a job at the house, but again, friends at home have been looking for jobs for over two years with no luck. It seems to me that what we have here is a whole country full of people that want to stand up and become something, but nowhere to turn. Maybe I'm just in a comfort zone and need a good swift kick to set my mind about a path that will set me free to do what it is that I need to do. It could just be. The thing about me though is this. I know I hit road blocks from time to time. I get a little grumpy about it but I always pull through. I'll figure this one out too. It's like I've always said. You can cut off both my arms and both my legs, and I'll still figure out how to have sex. I'll figure this world out too, after I go take a couple of aspirin that is.

Be safe peeps …
Jeff Head.
Be sure to add me as a friend if you like "Today's Thoughts"
http://runninglegalblues.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment