Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Telephone Smiles

Today's Thoughts By Jeff Head 9/12/12 Telephone Smiles
Let me see now, when was the last time I was at the house? Wow, I cannot really remember it has been so long. Three weeks, or has it been five? I am not sure. Many things have happened while I have been away. The lawn mower broke along with about what seems to be a million different other things that I cannot do a thing about until I finally see that front door again. Of course the death of my brother was a sad extra event this trip out. A house full of family that we had not seen in years, all came and went without me being able to be there. Life in a big truck leaves a lot to be lost. Sacrifices us as truckers make every day as we go about delivering America.

The only connection home for most of us is the telephone phone. I know that weeks and months for me as a trucker can be long and I can only imagine how our brave soldiers must feel spending years away from home fighting to keep our country free. And with all that goes on in ones daily life, the ups and the downs can really after some time become quite the drag, mainly for me because I want to be there to take care of the things for my family that I am supposed to be taking care of. It is hard enough to do when your there let alone being thousands of miles away trying to help matters along through a telephone. Sometimes, it just does not work.

Other times, like tonight, that telephone call really hits the spot. The world is right, all is good, and the one at home that you long to be with is nothing but smiles. They have had a great day and as they kick back talking a mile a minute to the one they love, you can just see right through that telephone the from ear to ear smile on their face. These are the calls I love to have with the ones I have not seen for so long, the ones I left back home as I go trailer trucking around the country.

It is hard sometimes as I sit here in this sleeper berth, what seems to be a coffin sometimes missing home, wishing I were there. Those telephone calls full of smiles sure do make this lonely trucking life a little bit easier to take. I will be home tomorrow, if only for a few hours. I will get to see in person that smile. And in about twenty-four hours, I will be out that door again on another load with nothing but the memory of that beautiful face, waving goodbye to me once again with that pretty smile on it. Of course, I will once again be looking forward to hearing that smile through that telephone as I once again forget just how long it is that I have been gone again this time.
Life in a big truck, not for wussies, that is for sure.

Be sure to add me as a friend if you like "Today's Thoughts"
Copy and share as much as you want (-:

No comments:

Post a Comment