Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Flushing The Subject

Today's Thoughts 12/21/11 Flushing The Subject
I did a good thing today. A good deed you might say. At least I think so. A simple request was made from one of our friends in the traveling public that just happened to be driving a four wheeler or a car as most people would call them. It was not a hard thing to do and a service that I was most happy to provide for this young man as he seemed most animated that the individuals in the trucking industry as he seen the word should be doing anyway. Just a simple thing you see, taking one's finger and applying it to a lever and thus giving that lever a quick downward push. Let me explain so you can see just how willing truckers are to meet the wishes of those that know just what a trucker really is.

For the first time in what seems like five years, I've actually booked a load that will put me at the house on Christmas Day. So instead of once again being stuck at some truck stop waiting to deliver the goods that keep America alive, I get to wake up next to my wife of twenty eight years and actually see my kid on a holiday for a change. Of course as normal the load only works if I hump, hump and hump to get it there. Legally of course as you know I insist on but three days at seven hundred miles a piece have to be accomplished. Not so much a problem for a old timer like me, but you push your limits and squeeze a little longer then you should and you make those miles.

Well, along about the time I figured I squeezed as long as I was about to squeeze, I swing into a rest area for a what I call a fourteen point two second pit stop. Hard to make miles sitting around looking at the grass growing under your truck so I jump out and follow two young men that get out of a pickup truck into the restroom. As it works out, the first young man through the door walks up to the only urinal in the place while the second finds the first stall and enters into it to do his business. I'm left with the far right stall that just happens to be the handicap stall. I love telling bathroom stories as you can see.

Anyway, the second young man in the stall besides me and knowing that I just got out of my big rig and that I'm a truck driver; is already complaining that truck drivers are filthy pigs. Those nasty truckers should learn how to flush a toilet and clean up after themselves. I listen to all of this (leaving out his use of profanity) as I grab a wad of toilet paper to use as I lift the seat so that I can do my business without leaving a mess for the next guy. I find it very interesting the fact that as he is complaining about this public restroom that he is leaving out the fact that it is open to everyone. I'm thinking he must believe that not a single driver of a car has ever ventured in here without leaving behind anything but the fresh fragrance of a rose garden.

So as he is pronouncing for about the third time that truckers really need to flush a toilet after they have used it and I'm just finishing up and noticing the floor drain that just happens to be between his feet which are now facing the door. I'm also looking at the fact that I've left out so far here; the toilet in front of me just happens to be stopped up and full to the brim with clear water except for what I just added to it. What a big smile that just happens to appeared on my face.

Ok, I did it. I grab another hunk of TP as you never want to touch anything in a public restroom that you don't have to and I did as my friend next door was asking me to do. I a truck driver for the first time in history flushed a toilet. Then I turned trying my best not to break out in laughter and waved at the first guy that just finished up as I headed for the door. I wondered what he was thinking about me being so happy waving at him but oh well.

About the time I opened the door for a quick exit, my friend sitting in the stall receives his wish and pronounces extremely loud, "G…… D….." and I'm out of there. I'm not very proud that as a Christian I made someone use the Lord's name in vein. But I am extremely tickled pink that I was once again able to improve the image of the trucking industry by helping a member of the general public receive his wish. I guess the moral of the story tonight is you need to watch what you ask for, you might just get it.

Be safe peeps …
Jeff Head.
Be sure to add me as a friend if you like "Today's Thoughts"

No comments:

Post a Comment