Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Flip Flops And EOBRs

Today's Thoughts 6/19/12 Flip Flops And EOBRs
By Jeff Head

I was talking with a friend this morning and as usual, the topic always turns to something trucking; electric in board recorders (EOBR) once again. As we were talking, they related to me that someone had accused them of flip-flopping on their stance on EOBRs even though that stance had never changed. I'm thinking to myself, so? I used to be all for them and my stance has changed so that now I think not so much anymore. Did I flip-flop? You bet I did.

Does that make me a bad person? I would think not. I'm not sure where I heard this but it has stuck with me for a while now. "When I was a child, I thought like a child. Then when I became a man, I thought like a man." How true that was or still is I guess. Can you imagine going through life and never changing you outlook on anything? I sure could not do it; I did not do it on the EOBR issue. I would hope I would be commended for having an open mind and the ability to think and reason things out for myself. To be able listen to reasonable arguments on any other subject as well. Then after doing so, after taking the time for further investigation and learning a little through real life experience as I grow older, be able to re-making a more informed decision on any subject.

That’s how I came to flip-flop on the EOBR issue. I understand the need for them but as time went on and I started hearing how companies using them were actually using them to force drivers to drive when they were tired. Then I was hearing stories about companies going in and changing the entries so that drivers would have more hours to drive. This was no different than the paper logs were accept for the fact that now, with the company having the ability to change things, the driver could be forced to drive tired by the company. At least with the paper logs, a driver can cheat according to their own instinct and ability as to how far they could safely go.

I learned and I lived life a little longer and became a little smarter and yes, I, the great me, flip-flopped on a very important subject, EOBRs, I am no longer for them. I would hope that with time and experience that I am able to learn and be humble enough to flip-flop on other important issues also. No one should live by the same values of life that they had as a child. That would be silly if you ask me. You should grow as a person and keep an open mind so that not only can you change with life, but be able to change life with the knowledge and experience that you gain as you travel through it.

Be sure to add me as a friend if you like "Today's Thoughts"
Copy and share as much as you want (-:

No comments:

Post a Comment