Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Define To Fast

Today I was heading on up to Washington State for a Monday morning delivery. My route took me west across Interstate 80 in Nebraska. My day started out with sunny skies but soon that gave way to some pretty dark clouds and it was not long before I found myself in some off than on again rain showers. I've been a bit lazy here lately and figured I could use that high speed truck wash anyway so I just slowed down due to the weather and enjoyed my ride across the state.

After I slowed down, the normal happens. Cars and trucks riding on those super stick tires that I've never been able to find in stores just kept coming around me. I'm talking with a friend and the conversation turns to the subject, "What is too fast for conditions?" I mean I'm in a rain storm so hard that I can hardly see over my hood. I'm doing about sixty and a car with a big truck two feet off its butt passes me at seventy five miles an hour. Now I know the speed limit is seventy five in Nebraska, but is that not meant for in perfect clear conditions?

So my question for today is what exactly is the speed limit? Most Highways I know of have a maximum speed limit posted. Nearby if not on the same sign usually you will find a minimum speed limit posted. But does that mean you can always legally run the maximum speed limit? Most drivers I see seem to think yes. Regardless of what the road conditions are, they figure the speed limit says seventy five, they are going to do seventy five come hell or high water.

But for those of us that know better. Could be they found out the hard way by getting a ticket after an accident or just knew by plain common sense; The speed limit on any highway is never more then what is safe for vehicles to drive on. So in today's situation traveling across Nebraska in a all out down poor, in my opinion the safe speed was about sixty. Now I know that I could be wrong. You could get as many different opinions on this as people you ask. Some would think higher and there would be those that would consider a lower speed to be appropriate. But this is my point. With so many different opinions and different driving abilities of the different drivers out there, how could anyone believe that seventy five miles an hour in a blinding rain in a big truck two feet off the butt of a four wheeler is safe for conditions?

So I stopped for a break and jumped on the net for a minute and I asked some of my Law Enforcement friends the question "What is too fast for conditions and when they would write a ticket?" I gave the example that I gave above which is what I observed today. My good friend LC replied and you just got to love this guy. He is always straight forward with a great sense of humor. He has lots of years as a State Patrol officer and in my opinion, one of my best friends. (Enough butt kissing already). here is his reply as he gave it to me.

LC says "Actually Jeff I would probably charge the guy with "reckless operation of a motor vehicle" ......under those conditions it is warranted. Highway speeds, in the rain, two feet off his bumper....yep "reckless operation", and "felonious stupidity""

Thanks for the input LC. So you see that just because the speed limit signs are out there. That in no way should leave you thinking that that is always the maximum speed you are allowed to travel. You must always take into consideration as to what the road conditions are. Keep in mind that any officer at any time if they so determine can write you a ticket for lots of different things if they believe you are traveling to fast for conditions.

Ok Folks, end of today's lesson. Remember to keep it safe out there. It's our job to make sure the get there alive. Thinking about it, I really would not mind getting there in one piece myself.

Jeff Head

No comments:

Post a Comment